Wednesday 8 September 2010

Hey everyone! From Edinburgh at 10:06 on a Wednesday, September 8, 2010. Wow had a great evening last night. After arriving at the Cowgate Tourist Hostel, I decided to take a walk around the area to get familiarized with the location. 2 or 3 hours later, having seen the University and all its nooks and cranies, the castle, the Royal Mile for the first time, and even part of Holyrood Park, I returned to my Hostel to get ready to go out at about 9pm. By chance, I met this kid named Greg outside my place. Turns out he was from Belgium and he was here with his 2 other Belgian friends, Nikolai and the other whose name has escaped me since the second he told it to me. So, 3 or 4 hours into my trip and I already had 3 friends with whom I enjoyed an amazing night. We started off at the 3 Sisters Pub (which was right across the street from our hostel). It must be part of Fresher's week, because every 15 minutes a new group of kids with purple shirts saying 'fresherfest' would come in to the pub, hang out for a little while, and head out again. So me, Greg, Nikolai, and our other friend started our night off there, then proceeded to walk down cowgate to more pubs and restaurants, all along the way stopping in and meeting new people. Regardless of my apparently nonexistent jetlag, I had to make the most of my night with the guys who had just gotten in that day from Glasgow and were  heading to Ireland the next day. Long story short, I finally ended the night with the guys in the kitchen of our hostel at 1:30am, hungry from a long days walking and touring with the guys, sharing a pizza four ways, and tired as ever. This morning, I just checked out from our hostel and now, the guys gone to Ireland, I am about to head down to the Apex Hotel where the next chapter in my Edinburgh adventure will begin. But wow, what an exciting start to what I know will be an amazing next 3 and a half months.

1 comment:

  1. Ryan, sounds like an amazing night and an amazing first day in Scottland! Keep up the blogging as much as possible. We love it. Lots of love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete