Tuesday 26 October 2010

Geneva, Switzerland with Kristen

Hey everyone! From my dorm room again on Wednesday, October 26, 2010 at 4:30pm. Two weekends ago I took a weekend trip to Geneva, Switzerland with my girlfriend Kristen, and it was one of the most amazingly beautiful trips I have taken. Geneva is located in the southwest of Switzerland right next to the Swiss-French border on the western side and Lake Geneva on the eastern side. It is a picturesque city that is very much centered around Lake Geneva with the Alps boldly rising in the background on the southern side and green hills as far as the eye can see to the north, but the city itself is very much an urban place, but with a very quaint, old feel to it. Most of the buildings are 18th-19th century neo-classical style buildings with magnificent medieval cathedrals or churches scattered throughout, so it is quite the array of architecture.
I just got off the phone with my parents and I think to save time, per their suggestion, I'm going to quickly outline my time there.
When I got there on Thursday, I had the whole day to myself, so I went downtown right next to the lake and there was a free bike rental place on the lake shore. So, clearly, I was intrigued and took a bike around the city for around 3 hours. It was a beautiful ride through the old town part of Geneva, passing old museums, gothic cathedrals, and spacious parks and recreational areas. I pretty much got a brief lay of the land so that when Kristen got there, we would have a vague idea of where to go. She arrived late that night, so the next day was our first walking around in the city. We took a bus to the airport and caught the Geneva bound train from there. When we arrived in the city, it was just past noon, so we walked around and got some lunch near the lake at a Spaghetti place. The food was expensive, but the scenery was well worth it. So we walked around a bit longer, up towards the UN and Red Cross Museum direction mostly, then we had fondue at a restaurant near the train station and it was some of the best I've ever had, hands down. After seeing a little bit more of the city at night, we called it a day and headed back.
The next day, we walked through miles of city and parks, and ended up spending most of the time into the evening near a park dedicated to famous Reformation thinkers. We enjoyed our second (and best) fondue at a restaurant near the beautiful St. Pierre Cathedral. The restaurant was outdoors on the cobblestone alleyways that all converged there and it was a beautiful evening.
The last day, we took a paddle boat out onto the lake and saw all the beautiful scenery from the lake perspective and it was amazing, especially with the huge fountain in the foreground accentuating the already magnificent city. So after a little bit more walking around, we headed back for the airport where we left for home, knowing that one day we would be back there again to admire beautiful Geneva.
I also have pictures of our time there that you can find at the following link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ryman9097/Geneva?authkey=Gv1sRgCNHvi8r-kfGhRQ&feat=directlink

3 comments:

  1. Ryan, fantastic pictures of Geneva! Hope you have a great weekend with Kristen. I'll bet you are really looking forward to your trip to Vienna next month.

    We love you,

    Dad, Mom and Craig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan, Looks amazing! Thanks for the updates.
    Your pictures are great and Kristin is darling! Love, Aunt Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ryan.

    Sounds like you are having a terrific time. Charlie, Alexis and I are heading to the UK Wednesday. After a few days in London we will come to Edinburgh. We really hope to see you and would love to have dinner some night. I'll have Alex contact you.

    Diane Waterhouse

    ReplyDelete